Are you planning to move to Canada and get a permanent residence (PR)? The Provincial Programs (PNP) in Canada is a feasible way to move. Provinces and territories can nominate individuals for a Canadian PR. In this article, you will learn the most popular provincial nominee programs in Canada This article discusses the popular PNPs in Canada.
What are Provincial Nominee Programs?
The Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs) are Canada’s leading immigration pathway that enables individuals to obtain permanent residence in Canada.
It authorizes provinces and territories in Canada to nominate individuals looking to relocate to Canada. Nominated individuals must have to reside in the provinces that nominated them.
Basically, there are reasons why applicants would choose the Provincial Nominee Program over other immigration pathways:
- Applicant already temporarily reside in the province or territory. They might have either finished working or studying temporarily and are then eligible
- They received a job offer in the territory or province
- The applicant did not have enough CRS points to get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) in the Express Entry pool. A provincial nomination application gives them an additional 600 points to gain them the ITA.
7 Popular Provincial Nominee Programs in Canada You Need to Know
There are roughly over 80 different provincial nominee programs in Canada. However, each of the thirteen territories and provinces in Canada regulates its PNPs with numerous streams. Below are seven popular PNPs in Canada you need to know:
1. Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)
The Ontario immigrant nominee program is one of the most diversified and active in Canada’s PNPs. It is designed for graduates, skilled workers, and business people to plan their immigration to Ontario.
The program is the province’s economic immigration program. Ontario works with the Government of Canada through Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). OINP is open to international students, workers, and anyone with the right skills, education, and experiences that Ontario’s economy needs.
Meanwhile, there are other ways you may qualify for the OINP nomination:
- Employer job offer category: this is for foreign workers who already gained a permanent job offer from an Ontario employer
- Human capital category: this is for workers who possess valuable work experiences, language skills, and education qualifications.
- Business category: this is designed for entrepreneurs who either want to buy or start a new business in Ontario.
The BCPNP offers candidates a wide range of stream and category options for graduates, entrepreneurs, and workers. It aligns with the categories in the federal Express Entry immigration system in Canada.
This program offers permanent residence to candidates who will work in sectors with labor shortages. It operates on several streams among two categories:
British Columbia Skills Immigration
- British Columbia Entrepreneur Immigration
- BC Skills Immigration
British Columbia Skilled Worker
- BC Healthcare Professional
- British Columbia International Graduate
- British Columbia International Post-Graduate
- BC Entry Level and Semi-Skilled Worker (ELSS)
This British Columbia Skills Immigration category targets candidates who have employment futures in BC and whose skills will benefit the province.
3. Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)
The Alberta immigration nominee program is one of the most popular PNPs in Canada for new immigrants. The province is one of Canada’s three Prairie provinces in Western Canada. It offers PNP streams for both Express Entry and non-Express Entry candidates. AINP is open to graduates, workers, and entrepreneurs who possess the abilities and skills to fill labour shortages in the province.
One of the significant advantages of this stream is its minimum CRS score of 300. This ensures that more candidates in the pool have greater chances to obtain provincial notifications of interest.
It currently accepts applications under these five streams:
- The self-employed farmer stream
- The international graduate entrepreneur immigration stream
- The foreign graduate start-up visa stream
- Alberta opportunity stream
- Express entry
If you have a connection in Manitoba, this nominee program might be the ideal alternative for you. You’re considered to have a connection if you studied, worked, or have a relative or friend in the province. Participating in any of the province’s strategic recruitment initiatives is also considered to be a connection.
Whichever connection you have gives you a better chance of receiving an ITA. Also, to be eligible to apply, you must have a one-year work experience. This work experience must be in one of the Manitoba In-Demand Occupation List.
MPNP is opened to skilled workers, recent graduates, agricultural entrepreneurs, and workers who have the experience to work in sectors with labour shortages.
The province regulates numerous immigration streams among four categories:
- Skilled Workers in Manitoba (SWM)
- Skilled Workers Overseas (SWO)
- International Education Stream (IES)
- Business Investor Stream (BIS)
5. Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program
The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program welcomes workers in in-demand occupations as well as Express Entry candidates.
It performs on two streams:
- The Saskatchewan Express Entry stream
- The Saskatchewan Occupation In-Demand stream
The Express Entry stream requires that candidates must have active Express Entry profiles. On the other hand, the Occupation in-demand stream does not. Instead, it requires that applicants must have at least one year of work experience. This experience could be in any of the positions on the in-demand occupation list.
This nominee program is a popular destination for newcomers. Aligned with Express Entry, it invites a particular National Occupation Classification (NOC) every year. This means that it does not require that you have a job offer to be eligible to apply.
It is designed to fill in labour market gaps. It will require you to be in the Express Entry pool, and upon receiving your ITA, you will be required to submit your application.
This program is open to graduates and entrepreneurs who have the skills and abilities to support Nova Scotia’s economy. To qualify for the program, you must already have a job offer from an employer in the province. If not, you must have at least one year of work experience in one of the province’s in-demand occupations.
This is one of the most popular PNPs in Canada. The NBPNP includes a popular Express Entry-linked stream and opportunities for workers with job offers and immigrant entrepreneurs.
The program operates on several streams:
- Express Entry labor market
- Employer Support
- Family Support
- Business Applicants/ Entrepreneurial
- Post-Graduate Entrepreneurial
- Succession Connect Pilot Program
Applicants will receive the NBPN certificate after application. This will automatically speed up the Canada PR visa application process.
Overall, each of these Popular Provincial Nominee Programs is designed to cater to the specific needs of each province. You just have to find the right one for you. It is always easier if you have some connection with the province you’re looking to apply to.