What is the Canadian Experience Class?

What is the Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration program that allows temporary foreign workers who have worked for at least one year to gain permanent resident status in Canada.

It aims to recognize the deep pool of talented workers already working in the country, retain and grant them permanent residence in Canada.

What is the Processing Time for the Canadian Experience Class?

The processing time for the Canadian Experience Class is often within 3-4 months. Applicants will receive confirmation of the permanent residence document once approved.

How Many Points Do You Need for the Canadian Experience Class?

To apply for the Canadian Experience Class, you must gain at least 67 points to qualify for Express Entry. Also, you need at least the least CRS score for a draw to be invited to reside in Canada permanently.

Eligibility Requirements for Canada Experience Class

These are the requirements you must meet to qualify for the Canadian Experience Class.

Language Eligibility

You will be required to meet the language ability levels needed for your job. These abilities include:

  • Writing
  • Reading
  • Listening
  • Speaking

You are required to meet the minimum language level of either of the following for those abilities:

  • Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs
  • Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC B job

Also, Canadian Experience Class candidates may take any of the following IRCC-approved language tests:

  • CELPIP-General (English)
  • IELTS-General (English)
  • TEF (French)
  • TCF (French)

Your language test result is valid for only two years after the date of the test result. It must be valid during the time you are applying for permanent residence.

Work Experience

You must have gained at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada while under temporary status. The experience must be in the last three years before you apply. There are specific ways you can meet this requirement:

  • Full-time job: 30 hours per week for 12 months (1,560 hours)
  • Part-time job: 15 hours per week for 24 months (1,560 hours).

Also, you can work as many part-time jobs as necessary to meet the requirement. You must have the authorization to work, and your skilled work must be paid. Volunteers and unpaid internships do not count.

Your work experience must be in either of these National Occupation Classification (NOC) levels:

  • Managerial jobs (skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)

Typically, your work experience can be in one or more NOC 0, A, or B jobs. Self-employment and student work experience do not count.


There are no education requirements for the Canadian Experience Class. However, your educational qualifications can improve your rank in the Express Entry pool. Here are ways to do this:

If you schooled in Canada, you could gain extra points for a certificate; diploma, or degree from a Canadian:

  • High school
  • Post-secondary institution

Also, if you have foreign education, you can get points for a completed foreign credential.


You must be eligible to live in Canada and plan on living outside the province of Quebec. Meanwhile, if you are a Provincial Nominee, you must live in the province that nominated you.

Is the Canadian Experience Class Different From Express Entry?

While Canadian Experience Entry is one of the three Federal High Skilled immigration programs managed by Express Entry. Express Entry is a point-based system that controls the immigration applications for the there Federal High Skilled Programs:

It allows the IRCC to invite competent candidates to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

Photo by Mubarak Showole on Unsplash

Share this Post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Leave a Reply